Thursday, November 10, 2011

I have a Creative Space again!

Recently I got to play a game called 'Let's Pretend To Be a Single Parent!'.  I didn't find it fun.  I was ludicrously exhausted and cranky.  For two weeks and five days (not that I was counting) Fudge was away on a work trip.  I feel nothing but awe and admiration for those out there who really are doing it solo.  Amazing.

The Bean and I developed a very efficient routine, especially at bedtimes, which helped a lot.  We managed quite well.  And we had lots of fun together, but she missed her daddy heaps.

(this photo has nothing to do with routines or Bean missing her daddy, I just like it)

Somehow I managed to stay sane... mostly aided by my trusty sewing machines, crochet hook and glue sniffing shoemaking.  My mum stayed for a few days too.  Oh and my fabulous cousin babysat while I went to tap class... the first night I went the Bean woke up quite distressed.  Elise remembered I'd mentioned earlier that the Bean loved 'The Brady Bunch' so she found the theme on YouTube and it calmed Beanie down instantly.  What a star babysitter!  And Bean... well, what can I say.  She is my daughter.  There's no hope for her really.  


But back to the creative.  I'm making another pair of tap shoes.  I needed something new and inspiring... I've been working on these two pairs for one and two years respectively and am getting to the point where I'm sick of the sight of them.  


 So enter new tap shoes.  


I have designed a bit of a range, and these are probably the most basic.  But I've always wanted a pair like this, and I've wanted red tap shoes ever since I was a little girl.  Even though I didn't take up tap until I was 17.  I used to wear my mum's wedding shoes (which had revolting but effectively noisy vinyl soles) and 'tap' dance on any hard surface I could find.  But they were white (with a gorgeous array of black scuff marks from their well worn years as 'dress ups'), and white was a bit boring.  So now I almost have my red shoes, in my favourite style.  I love that I can make my own shoes.


Oh, and I'm making the Bean a new blanket too.  Not as exciting as shoes to my mind, but a fantastic way to unwind on those long lonely nights.  And to give my hands something to do while walking on the treadmill.  You should try it sometime - nothing like a bit of multi-tasking to keep the 'to-do' list happy.  Blanket pattern found here.  I can't for the life of me remember whose blog I first saw this blanket on though, a thousand apologies to whoever it was.  And thank you for inspiring me to make my own!  (Update - I found it!  Thanks so much for the inspiration from your own beautiful blanket Sally!)


It's also leading-up-to-tap-concert time of year.  Which means the hot glue gun is out... costume making season!  I get to work with my favourite fabrics - panne velvet and dance time satin.  Shudder.  Hours of joy.  I don't know if my shoes will be finished in time (if they are I probably won't have any costumes to wear...), but I'm most pleased with how my Elmo hat turned out (yes, he's being propped up by Ms Juki... sigh...).  


I still have lots more to do, which I should be doing right now instead of faffing (or should that be pfaff-ing?  tehee...) around on the computer.

Sooo nice to be in the creative zone again, but enough waffle, back to the grindstone...

Much more creativity here.

1 comment:

  1. The shoes are stunning. i love them and i'd wear them with the taps for the plasure! Seriously amazing and I hear you on the solo parenting thing - maximum respect to solo parents.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my ramblings and to say hello!