Monday, March 19, 2012

Tappity Tap

So... long overdue news.  To my overwhelming relief I am finally getting somewhere with my tap shoes.  I (very sensibly) gave myself a deadline by approaching five of the lovely ladies I tap with and asking if they'd like a pair of shoes, as a way of motivating myself and also getting some customers, and they all said yes!  So I spent quite a bit of time getting a brochurey thingy together to show off my range.  


The idea is that they (and subsequent customers) will chose a style and then chose colours from swatches of the leathers I have available.  I missed my self-imposed begin-order-taking deadline of January, but that was kind of to be expected.  The point is I've been doing things, I'm way more motivated than I have been in ages, and it is actually kinda sorta coming together.

Oh, and while Bean continues to be looked after on Fridays by my fabulous Aunty, we've also found a Family Day Care spot for her, one day a week, much closer to home.  I can be there and back again with ten minutes to spare in the time it takes me to drive one way to my Aunt's.  I wish she was closer... I do love the Bean being with family, but c'est la vie.  The day carer seems lovely, and the Bean seems to like her.  She has had three full days there (plus some initial 'settling' time) and I think she has fun... although she still cries when I leave her and launches herself at me when I pick her up.  And I miss her terribly.

My budding Jackson Pollock's daycare masterpiece

So that means two Bean free days a week to make shoes.  I've spent a few running around the countryside to various suppliers and so forth, which has been a frustratingly precious-time-wasting necessity... I needed to stock up on leathers and lasts a few other bits and pieces.  I got some beautiful leathers which I am most excited about... here's a sneaky peak at one...

I'm sooo not a pink person, but even I want a pair in this leather!

I've been spending my time non-supply hunting time frantically making patterns... I had already made and finished a sample pair using the base pattern (more on that later) but it's proving to be more work than I'd hoped to get the other patterns correct.  I've got three orders placed and deposits paid, so I'm frantically trying to get the patterns sorted so I can start on the shoes!  This is a shot of my desk on a particularly crazy day...

Patterns, swatches and scissors... just a few of my favourite things...

All in all it's great to be back in the shoemaking mindset... I'm loving it.  There will be more photos/details soon!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the gang! Get tapping on those hammers (and those toes).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my ramblings and to say hello!